Monday, July 27, 2009

How can I build a PC Remote Control device from scratch and write software for that using .Net 2005?any ebook?

I need to make my own Remote control device using IR sensors and write my own software for that using Visual Studio .Net 2005.


I know .Net and C# languages very well but do not know how to start building my own hardware for the remote control and program it using Visual Studio .Net 2005, though I know it can be done using VS.Net 2005 Compact Framework. Is there ary e-books or books that I can buy, which will guide me through the process of building my own hardware for the Remote Control Device and e-books / books to buy which wil guide me through writing the software for the remote control device using Visual Studio .Net tools?? Please suggest

How can I build a PC Remote Control device from scratch and write software for that using .Net 2005?any ebook?
Please provide additional detail: Do you wish to control the PC remotely, or do you wish to use your PC to perform remote control of other systems? Similarly, with respect to you infra-red sensors, are these sensors providing input to the PC, responding to IR signals from the PC, or both.





You can get RS-232C equipped universal smart IR remote controls, or check the June 1993 issue of "Electronics Now" (since merged with Popular Electronics) for my circuit to interface a PC's parallel port to the existing matrix keyboard of an off-the-shelf IR smart remote. Programming details will depend on what you are trying to implement.





If you want to build your own receiver section from scratch, you'll need an IR diode tuned to 880Nm, a pulse-stretcher, and then a demodulator (typicall 40KHz carrier for consumer-stlye IR signals). I would suggest managing this with an on-board processor, such as a PIC. Use the sourcecode from the PIC programmer itself as the basis for a terminal program, or check out the source code libraries available publicly for code you can incorporate, then interface through the serial port (I used to use the classic Maxim Max-232 chip to simplify the multi-voltage power supply demands of RS-232c interfacing; you might find an easier way via USB -- I'm a bit out of date on this end of hardware hacking.





The Parallel port is still around, is typically a Bitronics EPP-style port these days (so you'll have at least 8 i/o lines instead of 8 out and 5 returns) but isn't as easy to program as it was in the days of DOS -- at least if you want real performance. Under current Windows, you'll get best performance by coding a device driver, since the O/S owns and abstracts all the hardware ports anymore -- peeks and pokes were the easy way to fiddle bits at the hardware level in my day; now a lot of it still works, but its abstracted or emulated, unless you create a device driver. There used to be a pretty good parallel port bare-bones device driver code example that came with the Windows DDK -- device driver kit, but that was many versions ago; check the Microsoft site to find out what's current.





Good luck to you!





-jb


No comments:

Post a Comment